Recently I read a blog post by Kalel about acknowledging and appreciating the smaller things in life that we take for granted and it got me thinking about some of the things that over look in my life. If you would like to read Kalel's post I will leave the link for you at the bottom.
While I was reading I realised that since I've moved into my own flat I've started getting wrapped up in trying to live the perfect life. Rather than thinking how lucky I am to have the things that I have, I've been too busy focusing on the things that I want. Although I've been very good recently at saying, "No I don't need that right now, Ialready have ..." It still doesn't stop me wanting those things andconstantly thinking about what I can by next to improve my home or my life. So I've made a list of some of the things that I take for granted in hopes that it will make me appreciate just how lucky I actually am.
1. This flat. I love this flat, without it we would still be in a situation where we were always unhappy. We were lucky enough to offered this flat by a previous client who gave us a great deal on the rent, so we've been paying a lot less than it's worth. I do look after it, and keep it clean and looking pretty but as a decorator I could take more time to ... you know, decorate!
2. Food in the fridge. A few years a go we were basically surviving on one meal a day and now our cupboards, fridge and freezer is full of food and sometimes I think I don't appreciate that quite as much as I should. There are times when I open the cupboard and just get grumpy because one specific thing isn't in there, rather than being grateful that we actually have food!
3. My job. i'm self employed which can be challenging at times, we tend to either have way to much work or barely any at all. At the moment I'm the the 'way too much' boat and most mornings I struggle to get out of bed thinking "urgh why isn't it the weekend?" When really I should be thinking "Another days wages in my pocket."
4. Possesions. Even though I don't earn the best wage in the world, we still manage to have nice clothes, wifi, good food, the latest consoles, tv and nice furniture. I know that when a lot of people our age move out they don't have half the things that we do. I've been lucky that my family and friends have donated sofa's electrical appliances and even bought us a big bed to save us sleeping on the floor. I'm lucky to have people that care about us that much, that they want us to have the best.
5. My boyfriend. Obviously I love my boyfriend, very much, but sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have a man who loves me as much as he does. He does everything he can to make me happy and surprise me, even if it's something he has absolutely no interest in, like my obsession with castles ... and pugs. Back in high school boys never looked twice at me and I'll be honest, it made me feel like I was worth less than everyone. But now I've managed to find someone who goes out of there way to make me feel like a Princess every day.
Those are my 5 things that I don't appreciate enough in life. Obviously there are hundreds more things that I could list, like my education, my nationality and even my sexuality. Do you guys have any things that you think you take for granted? Or just forget that not everyone out there has? Feel free to drop them in the comments.
Kalel's Blog: http://www.peacezenlove.com/